Your up to the minute source for news in the fast moving world of tea and sit downs.
If you have some nice news that you think we should know about, it might be that you've spotted a long lost biscuit, or maybe you've found somewhere that does splendid tea and sits downs, then why not email us at the usual address.
McVities reveal vital dunking statisticsWednesday 13 Sep 2006 Reporter: Nicey
|McVitie’s have polled over 2,000 people to determine what it is about Dunking we love. The Ginger Nut is Britain’s favourite dunking biscuit (25%) with the Digestive and Rich Tea following closely behind (22% and 19%). Figures show that 82% of British tea slurpers and coffee addicts are regular dunkers. This backing for ‘The Dunk’ is announced today to mark the launch of the McVitie’s National Dunk Debate – a nationwide celebration of McVitie’s biscuit-eating habits to find out if we really are a nation of biscuit dunkers or just crunchers.|
McVities have planned a series of regional sampling days across the UK in September and October. To find out more, simply visit mcvitiesdunkdebate.co.uk.
|Who are these dunkers?|
- If you’re a 35 year old housewife from the West Country, you’re more likely to dunk than anyone else in Britain
- If you’re a 55 year old male accountant from Scotland, you dunk more Ginger Nuts than any other profession and over any other biscuit
- Engineers dunk more than any other profession (88%). You’re also probably a dunker if you are an office worker or lawyer (87%)
- Most students admit to having a dunk every day (10.4%)
- IT workers dunk when no-one’s looking (23%) – more than any other profession
- Women are secret dunkers. Whilst 70% of men admit to a private dunk, it’s nearly three-quarters of women (74%) who do it solo
When do they do it?
- The British feel most comfortable dunking when they’re at home with their families (75%)
- But dunking can be a solitary pastime with 73% of Brits also confessing to a ‘dunking session’ when they’re home alone
And where do they do it?
- Over 10% of Brits dunk at work when they think their colleagues aren’t looking (12%)
- It’s reassuring to know that we Brits still have our airs and graces. A mere 6% of us would ever dare to dunk in a posh restaurant
- If you’re from Cornwall or Devon, a true Yorkshire man or you’re a Geordie, you are more likely to dunk than any other person in Britain (88%, 84% and 91%) respectively
- Scots are the least likely to dunk their biscuits in their brew (69%)
- Brummies are the most sociable dunkers (79%) – but the Cornish need to get out more, as over three-quarters (81%) admit to private dunking
- Scots voted Ginger Nuts their favourite dunking biscuit (33%), the Northern Irish voted for the Digestive, and those from East Anglia voted Rich Tea in (23%)
- HobNobs received more votes from Northern Ireland than any other part of Britain (31%)
- Britain’s real chocoholics live in the south-west. Over a quarter (26%) voted to dunk Chocolate Digestives or Chocolate HobNobs
- Londoners favour tea as a dunking drink (83%) whereas our Geordie counterparts choose coffee (53%)
- Scots are more likely to save their dunking for the evening (60%)